Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Homemade Pancake/Waffle Mix



“Mommy, are you making me pancakes?” I can hear my little man yell down the stairs at me on a bright sunny Saturday morning. He is all excited to know that I am awake and making pancakes already, and so eager to help me stir the bowl. “Yup,” I reply, “Come on down and help me!” I love those early Saturday mornings when my little men are so eager to get up and help in the kitchen. The sound of their little feet as they hit the bottom step and bounce cheerfully into the kitchen to greet me.
I love this recipe. It is so quick and easy to make...plus it is all homemade!

This is a pancake/waffle mix recipe that I discovered a few months back and have been making ever since. For years, I was buying those overprice pancake/waffle mixes, you know the one that just add one egg and ½ cup of water. The kind of mixes that were really convenient and quick for a fast paced, growing family like mine. As my kids are starting to really enjoy pancakes - almost EVERY MORNING of the week - it was starting to become a little problem that I needed to try and fix. The first problem was the cost of these ready-made mixes. Sure they are quick and easy, but for the price that you pay to get WHAT??? Exactly…what are you getting in these mixes? You really do not know what all is going into these processed mixes either. That is the second problem - how do you make them from scratch EVERY morning when life is so busy already? This is where it is beneficial to make your own mix, store it in an air-tight container, and have it ready to go. With this recipe, you will have enough mix for about 6 batches of pancakes! You will not only have yummy, inexpensive pancakes, but you will also know everything that is in them! It will also only take a few minutes to whip them up!

To make the mix, combine all dry ingredients: flour, nonfat dry milk, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Be mindful of the expiry dates on each of my ingredients. (I have started writing on the date of when I open each ingredient. It is best to use the freshest ingredients possible when making the dry mix for storing. A rule of thumb, use 6 months. I try to only put ingredients into my mix that have been opened within the last 6 months and never put anything into it that will expire in the next 6 months.) Once the dry ingredients have been mixed, store it in a sealed container. Attach the directions on the container for how to make a batch of pancakes/waffles. This way you do not need to go searching for the recipe every time you want to make them. When the mornings come that someone wants pancakes, all you have to do is go to the pantry and pull out the container.







I like to make my pancakes on my electric griddle. I can make a whole bunch at one time and the boys love to count how many are on the griddle at a time.















I also make small pancakes, because we eat them so frequently.



After making the batch of pancakes, the best part is that you can freeze the leftover pancakes for weekday mornings. It makes the morning routine even shorter by just going to the freezer, pulling out a few and popping them in the microwave a few seconds. Its just like buying the pre-made frozen pancakes in the store...BUT CHEAPER AND HOMEMADE! I LOVE THIS!














Pancake/Waffle Mix
8 cups of unbleached flour
2 cups nonfat dry milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking soda
2 tsp salt


To Make Pancakes:
2 cups mix
1 3/4 cups of water or milk (I use 1 cup water and ¾ milk)
1 egg
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice (or Distilled White vinegar)

To Make Waffles:
2 1/2 cups of mix
2 cups of water
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

No comments:

Post a Comment