Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Easy Peasy Freezer Applesauce

            APPLESAUCE! My kids love applesauce. This has been the only way to get my kids to eat their fruits. This recipe is one of the simplest, cheapest ways to make homemade applesauce. Plus, IT'S SO MUCH FUN and means lots of family time in my house.

            My family took a Saturday morning and went apple picking. It was a first time for all of us! We found a local apple orchard that was having special events that day. The twins had a blast picking apples. They got to learn where apples come from (the orchard) and that they grow on trees. We picked ½ bushel of apples (~21 lbs) for $11 (and the irreplaceable family time). Gala Apples were in season at the time we went apple-picking. I love Gala apples, and they make excellent applesauce!





            After returning home from our little adventure, we washed the apples in the sink. I cut out any bad spots in the apples. Then used a fruit wedger to cut the apples. I threw the WHOLE apple in the stock pot (stem, seeds, skins, and all). Because I will be using my Kitchen Aid Fruit/Vegetable attachment, they will be discarded later with the attachment. (LOVE THIS!)


            Fill the pot to the top with apples and add 1/2-1 cup of water, just to prevent the apples from scorching. The apples will produce more liquid as they cook down. Cover pot and cook apple just until soft, (about 30 minutes, depends on amount of apples and size of pot.) Stir apples occasionally, if possible.


            While apples are cooking, assemble the Kitchen Aid Attachment and “set-up” bowls to catch the sauce and the scraps. I used an extra large 12 quart bowl to catch my applesauce and a small bowl to catch my “scraps” in.

            After apples are softened, spoon the cooked apples in the mixer attachment and process. I set my mixer at a speed of 4 to make the applesauce (as recommended in the Kitchen Aid directions). Once all the apples from my pot were run through the strainer, I ran my “scraps” that I collected back through to get more of the apple out. 


The second round of scraps will look much more dried out compared to the first pass. The applesauce also seemed to be a little thicker the second time around.

            My family likes sweet applesauce, so I put a cup of sugar in my warm sauce. Cinnamon is always a favorite option as well, but, through research, I have found that spices can lose flavor over time in the freezer. Even though applesauce does not last that long in my house, I still did not add it to the applesauce to be frozen. I let my bowl of applesauce sit for about a half hour on the counter-top before placing in the refrigerator to cool completely. After the applesauce cooled, I bagged it up in freezer bags and stored in the freezer.



The apple-picking and making of applesauce is one family activity my husband and I would love to do as a family on an annual basis - only picking more apples next time!

Easy Peasy Freezer Applesauce

1/2 bushel apples (any variety, but I like Gala)
sugar (optional, to taste)

Wash apples. Wedge apples and place all parts of the apple (skins, cores, and seeds) is a large stock pot. Place about 1/2 - 1 cup of water in pot, just enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Cover the pot and cook apples until they are soften, about 30 minutes. Once apples have soften, they are ready to be run through the Kitchen Aid Attachment. Spoon apples into the attachment. After the apples have all been run through the attachment. Run the "apple waste" back through the attachment to get more applesauce from the skins and cores that were discarded by the attachment.
VOILA, you have applesauce!
At this point you can stir in sugar or spices to your liking or just let it plain and simple.
Cool the applesauce before placing in freezer bags and freezing your applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment